PAGES

Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Junks & Such: Re-adapted

I have a confession to make: I am a certified 'hoarder'! 

Anything and everything that remotely look like it can be re-used or re-adapted for another use will be put aside & stored in a corner gathering dust until called to 'service'....which may happen within days or typically, years later!!  :-)



Take for example the items in the above picture- a plastic soda bottle, multi-coloured sticks of plastic balloon holders, fabric/nylon handles from paper carry-bags, a discarded wheel from a kid bicycle and wires from toy packaging.

They were re-adapted into:

Soda bottle -> Pot for water plant
Balloon holders -> Finger puppet holder
Wires/Nylon Strings -> Plant ties / fashioned into a hanger
Bicycle Wheel -> Base for Christmas wreath

Have a cracked or missing-the-cover tea pot lying around? Don't throw it away....it'll make a great vase for dry/artificial flowers or as a flower pot holder!




There's a wooden chair missing a leg or two?? Well, the seat of the chair may well be the next cosy 'home' for a Disc Staghorn Fern (Platycerium coronarium)!



Don't know what to do with the coconut husk that comes with the coconut? Well, turn it into a host for a Bird's Nest Fern (Asplenium nidus). Alternatively, put it into the compost heap!




Extra bamboo stakes from the veg plot? Turn it into a pole for hanging flower pots or as part of a flower arrangement.





















Just installed an ultra modern shower cubicle in the bathroom? Don't throw away the old bath tub!! Plugged it up and turn into a "pond" instead! Or perhaps an open top compost bin.




An old large container with a hole in the bottom can be turned into a compost bin and is the ideal size for a small & narrow garden, like mine. And a clay drain pipe is just the thing as a flower pot stand! :-)




I get a real buzz when a 'junk' in my, ermm extensive collection, is re-adapted  and used for something else entirely :-)  (eg. bird feeder 'manual')


Do you have any re-adapted uses for 'junk' ideas to share? I would LOVE to hear it : -)
 

8 comments:

  1. Now this is really someone who is "talking the talk and walking the walk". really good ideas you have got there. I have to copy you more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw shucks, you are too kind! I think I'm just "economically" minded, haha. Seriously, those nylon/fabric handles from paper carry bags are really useful, so handy and sturdy. Share some of your ideas too 'k SK! :)

      Delete
    2. Me? L-lesen. Not creative at all hahahaha

      Delete
    3. You're creative with words & prose! :) But I think being 'economically' minded is a good impetus hahaha

      Delete
    4. "Economical" and yet creative, makes me salute you. I have the same items but the only idea I have is to put them into the recycle bin or sell to junk yard. do post more of your creations.

      Delete
  2. Wow! You're so creative. If it's up to me, I'll just send em to recycle centre for $$ LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, cleffairy! Thanks for your comment :) I would have done the same too if those 'surat khabar lama' lorries accept plastics, wires & discarded bicycle wheel, haha.

      Delete
  3. Wow, wonderful! I am a hoarder too. I save everything. Just in case... But I seldom bring myself to making something useful like you did.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate receiving comments on my post(s). If you find the post interesting or have questions, please DO drop a line! Thank you :)