One of my favourite plants are Adenium Obesums, commonly known as 'Desert Rose' and 'Fu Kuai Fa' here. Currently, I have 5 of these lovelies in the garden :)
![]() |
| Grown from stem cutting |
As alluded to by its name, they thrive in hot and sunny weather and bloom all year round. Succulent plants, they don't require regular watering but need proper drainage; have thick branches; grow slowly; have leaves that are glossy and leathery; flowers tend to be pink and reds clustering at the tips of branches and are especially prized for their fleshy base known as a caudex.
The bigger and more swollen the caudex the better; an older plant with a big caudex & lots of branches & flowers can command a handsome sum in the re-sale market.
I just LOVE to look at the caudexes (?) as they tend to grow into funny looking shapes and with a bit of imagination, may resemble a man in mid kung-fu stance or an elephant's head interchangeably :D
Adeniums can be grown from seeds, stem cuttings or by grafting. Interestingly, my sole plant grown from seed did not have the same coloured flowers as its parents.
![]() |
| Parent plant-pinkish flowers with white mid-section |
![]() |
| Progeny-reddish flowers with pink mid-section |
Plants grown from seed tend to have obvious caudexes while those grown from stem-cuttings may develop a caudex years later...or not as is the case with my 1st picture above.
Seeds are borne in a single long tube-like receptacle emerging from the tip of a branch. Its goes from green to red to brown before splitting apart and releasing the seeds. The seeds are so tiny that they have 'wings' on either sides to help it float and carried by the wind. I was really surprised to see the seeds the 1st time :)
Adeniums should be re-potted often, feed with fertiliser that are not too high in nitrogen and need to be trimmed regularly preferably during hot and dry weather to ensure healthy growth of caudex, new branches and fresh blooms.
However, my plants are extremely susceptible to green caterpillar attacks! These pests can completely de-nude my plants in a matter of days...leaves, flowers & flower buds!
Other than this pest, the plants are relatively problem free.
I'm thinking of getting myself some hybrids soon as they produce really pretty & showy flowers! Have a look at some of these beautiful hybrid flowers here and here.
I hope you will try planting an Adenium 'rose' next :)
However, my plants are extremely susceptible to green caterpillar attacks! These pests can completely de-nude my plants in a matter of days...leaves, flowers & flower buds!
![]() |
| the HATED pest!! >_< |
I'm thinking of getting myself some hybrids soon as they produce really pretty & showy flowers! Have a look at some of these beautiful hybrid flowers here and here.
I hope you will try planting an Adenium 'rose' next :)












oooooo....not me..it's difficult to care and needs lots of sunlight. With me taking care of it, sure will go to plant heaven. LOL
ReplyDeleteNeway, terror lah you for having 5 pots. You certainly have green thumbs :)
You are too kind! But really, other than giving occasionally fresh compost & watering, these plants are left to themselves. So much so that when flowers DO bloom, I'm always taken by surprise haha!
DeleteDoes that green pest eventually turn into a beautiful butterfly?
ReplyDeleteThose are stunning pink flowers and I realy like the trunks.
Sigh, that's something I would like to know too! I've been losing the battle between allowing the pests to live to adulthood or displacing them (I just transfer them to other not so tasty plants, haha). The trunks & caudex are amazing right...I'm going to try making the caudex bigger :)
DeleteBeautiful Adeniums! I have a three, but they actually belong to my dear husband, he likes the 'weird and wonderful', the thick caudex in this case :-)
ReplyDeletethe caterpillar looks similar to the 'hornworm' in Florida, they turn into large and pretty moths. I grow a certain plant especially for them, and whenever I find one on tomatoes or other plants, I just relocate the caterpillars to that plant :-)
Hemm, large and pretty moths? Alright then, I'll let the next 'pest' live into adulthood :) I've done that before but strangely, the caterpillars always disappear from the plants just when I thought they will spin cocoons. Do put up a post on your hubby's Adeniums! I'm sure they are gorgeous :)
Delete