PAGES

Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Beautiful Moss/Lichen


The weather is turning much sunnier, hotter and drier now...at times unbearably so, and with the occassional rain/thunderstorm. I think soon it'll be time to dig up a plot to plant my growing long bean and chilli seedlings...the long beans have clearly outgrown their bamboo stakes and are now attempting to twine round the common chain-link fencing!

I got the idea for this post while reading and admiring Denise's post on moss growing on trees in/around her garden.

There isn't space in my garden for a tree though, but that hasn't stop moss from growing and thriving in amazing places :)

growing in gap between concrete slab pavement

on bricks used as vege plot divider

up-close view. So dainty!

lichen (?) @ top & moss @ bottom: side of clay pot

on a decorative clay tile

my favourite: at the foot of my sole bonsai plant!

Mosses and lichens tend to be ignored and overlooked in the garden, but they actually have existed for a LONG time and are very interesting! For more information on mosses and lichens please click the link :)

Do you have beautiful mosses and lichens thriving in your garden/pots/containers??

8 comments:

  1. SK: LOL! Persevere OK :) You are great in "cari makan" though, haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely !
    I shall post a photo of the moss invading my fern area soon, with a reference to your blog again !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I love mosses, lichen and mushrooms, I'll copy your idea and add a post to my blog as well :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now it is too cold here for them to thrive, but I think mosses do grow better in tropical places like Malaysia. Question: can you grow vegetables year round since it is so tropical there? Or there are some months/time when not much grow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celine: Oohh, ferns are my other faves! :) Ferns & mosses together should make a really pretty picture :) Can't wait to read this on your site soon!!

    Gone Tropical: Can't wait to read your post as well!! Seriously, I DO think your garden is more tropical than mine :) I recently came across some beautiful mushrooms growing round a tree stump & will post that soonish.

    KL: Good question! :) I've only started growing veges around July 2011 & am still experimenting to get a rough idea of the growing season here. Theoretically, it should be year round but we do get extremely dry & wet months too. So, I'm currently conducting 'trial & error' plantings haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise: You are welcomed! Hehe, I'm looking to you for more post ideas :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate receiving comments on my post(s). If you find the post interesting or have questions, please DO drop a line! Thank you :)