PAGES

Thursday, 29 December 2011

Tasty Arrowhead Chips

After reading SmallKucing's recent mouth-watering post on making arrowhead chips, my itchy hands found itself purchasing a kilogram of the said tubers/corms that very evening and raring to have a go at it!

Arrowhead tubers/corms are produced from plants known as Broadleaf Arrowhead, Chinese Arrowhead Plant, Duck Potato or Wapato [Sagittaria latifolia]. A herbaceous perennial usually grown in shallow water around streams, ponds and ditches, its leaves are arrowhead shaped and produces delicate white flowers (here) and tubers/corms.

In Malaysia, arrowhead tubers (usually called 'Nga-ku' or 'Chi-ku') are imported from China about 1 month before the Lunar New Year (or usually referred to as Chinese New Year here) and is an important item in the celebration. Its usually eaten steamed together with preserved meats like chinese sausages and waxed duck drumstick. It is also delicious eaten deep fried like potato chips.

Washed & awaiting
Close-up view

Peeled

Sliced

Deep-frying

Resulting chips
Can you guess from the last picture, which were the 1st batch out from the hot frying pan?? :)

Nga-ku tastes slightly bitter and raw but once steamed, the bitterness is not that noticeable as it had absorbed the flavours of the various preserved meats steamed together.

Incidentally, I have a very similar looking plant growing in my bath-tub pond, I wonder if its related although mine has a much narrower shaped leaf. Perhaps I won't have to wait for my annual Nga-ku fix afterall!

Have a fabulous time counting-down to Year 2012 this weekend my friends!

9 comments:

  1. eh no wonder you pening la...when you peel the ngaku, the tangkai at the top no need to cut off. use that tangkai to hold and slice. Much easier. My 1st time i also did the same till an auntie at the hypermarket told me not to cut off the tangkai. Also get a light weight slicer then can straight slice into the wok. Fire must be very low so that you wont burn your hand.once you see the edges of the ngaku no longer transparent in colour, you have to turn it. Wait till no more big bubles coming out then can take out already. The ones with the burnt ones are the 1st batch....i guess la coz my 1st batch also looks like that hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. SK: I sliced them by hand actually and were having difficulties, haha! My slicer was to small for the ngaku. Oh, so that's the "secret" to the tip! But you know, I think this will be my 1st AND last attempt at Ngaku chip making....unless, my fingers get itchy again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we're deep into specialist cooking here ! I love it. Just a small question : what are the strings on top of your frying pan used for ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds yummy ... I dont' think I can get those roots here in FL :-/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celine: My photo skills weren't too good but those 'strings' are actually metal slats I used to put the done chips on so that any extra oil can drip down :)

    Gone Tropical: The plant can be found growing wild in FL. Maybe you can try looking for the roots at Asian shops particularly Chinese marts in Chinatown..its a popular dish during Lunar New Year so perhaps it could be imported into FL :) Its a really fantastic snack, quite nice with beer actually, :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. growing wild here? then yes, I should find it at the Asian market, thanks for the tip :)
    (I'm not too happy with the American beer, tho lol)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These chips are definitely healthy since it is home made, hence no preservatives and less salt.

    Happy New Year 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yet again, getting hungry after reading your posts! Sounds yummy!

    I hope you have a wonderful New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Autumn Belle: Happy New Blooming 2012 to you too!! Ngaku chip making is pretty time consuming...but its gone in seconds! Haha, I've a feeling I'll be getting 'itchy' fingers soon :)

    Indie: LOL! Happy New Year to you too :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate receiving comments on my post(s). If you find the post interesting or have questions, please DO drop a line! Thank you :)